Professional Practice Technical Challenges
Advanced Simulation Training and Clinical Translation
November 5th 2020 - November 6th 2020
Francisco Maio Matos (MD)
50% to 70.2% of the medical error can be prevented through comprehensive systematic approaches to patient safety. In Europe, the strategies to reduce the adverse events would lead to the prevention of more than 750.000 harm-inflicting medical errors in each year.
Simulation is widely advocated as a means to overcome these problems. It’s an educational method or technique to produce an experience without going to the real event that has emerged as complement to traditional clinically based training, demonstrating competency across the spectrum from individual procedures to complex team-based skills.
This powerful learning tool aims to facilitate learning through immersion, reflection, feedback and practice in a safe environment, enabling control over the sequence of tasks offered to learners, providing opportunities to offer support and guidance to learners and creating tasks that rarely occur in the clinical environment.
These are difficult times. Covid-19 demands high clinical performance with a major emotional impact on health professionals. It’s mandatory to promote guided reflection within teams as a way to improve and maintain patient safety, increase efficiency and contribute to a supportive culture of dialogue.
During the course, we promote and encourage to use TALK©, a tool designed to guide clinical team debriefing.
At the end of the course each participant should be able to develop and run simulation-based programs, acting as a patient safety stakeholder in training and clinical settings.
Medical Doctors & educators (helpers in the acquisition of knowledge, competencies and/or virtue) and health care professionals with an interest in simulation and teaching.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES >> KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS TO DEVELOP
- To create a challenging and safe educational environment
- To define behavioural and technical learning goals
- To prepare, build and conduct realistic simulation scenarios
- To use effective debriefing techniques and knowing how to avoid ineffective ones
- To operate a simulation-based program (including Covid-19 training)
- To teach clinical debriefing (TALK© steps), speak-up and efficient handouts
- To develop behavioural and educational research possibilities
- CV including certificate of tertiary education or above
- Preference to attendants working in healthcare or/and biomedical education.