Managing chronic patients and family in the outpatient setting - online course
May 4th 2021 - June 29th 2021
Sara Torcato Parreira (RN, MSc) ,
Maria de Fátima Grenho (MD)
Every patient wants to be cared for, hopefully well and with the best treatment. Patients with chronic conditions need a close contact with the health system and multiple chronic conditions have a profound impact on patients. Chronic diseases are a global health challenge. Re-organizing how we deliver care is mandatory. Chronic conditions can usually be managed but not cured, so adherence to therapies, regular follow-ups and enhanced communication between patients and health providers are fundamental. How can we make care better, more humane and person-centered? How can new technologies help in the management of chronic conditions? How can we integrate care, reduce costs and ensure effectiveness in the management of chronic patients and their families? What is the role of value based healthcare? And what is the importance of governance and leadership in creating a people centered approach?This online course will address these questions, from theoretical evidence to practical examples and interactions. The aim is to bring value to chronic patients, families and health systems, integrating the best evidence with the best examples, assuring expertise along with multidisciplinarity.
Health managers and health professionals, graduated in Medicine, Nursing, Psychology or Social Services.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES >> KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS TO DEVELOP
- Understand the prevalence of chronic diseases, the challenge of multi-morbility and its consequences for the healthcare settings, patients and families\
- Define the role of different healthcare settings and the importance of integrated care
- Differentiate between a traditional model of care and a patient and family centered model
- Identify new technologies which enhance patient management and experience
- Demonstrate the importance of governance and leadership in an organizational culture focused on patient and family centered-care
- Describe how value based healthcare impacts patient outcomes
- Identify key aspects of interpersonal communication skills and barriers to effective communication
- Understand the vital role of effective communication in the overall patient and family experience
- CV and motivation letter where the applicant shall explain the relevance of the course for his/her professional development or ambition
- Preference will be given to health care professionals working at the hospital, primary health care setting, integrated continuous care setting and palliative care.